Dropping Courses

Your final eligibility for aid will be based on the number of hours for which you are enrolled at the 10% point of the semester. If you register and then drop or stop attending course(s) prior to that date, your eligibility for aid will be RECALCULATED on your remaining hours as of the 10% point of the semester. Students who receive a financial aid check based on more hours than those remaining as of the 10% point of the semester may be responsible for repaying a portion of any financial aid received. Dropping courses may affect your eligibility for future aid. Students should consult the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to determine if dropping courses will affect your eligibility for aid.

Withdrawing from College

  • All or part of your financial aid may be reduced or canceled.
  • You may have a balance due to HCC because your financial aid award was adjusted.
  • A hold will be placed on your academic record and you will not be able to request transcripts, register for classes, etc. until you pay the amount owed to HCC as a result of your withdrawal.
  • Your credit history may be negatively affected when HCC reports your overdue account to an external credit agency.
  • You may not meet the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements for continued financial aid assistance. Future financial aid may be jeopardized.


Withdrawal Procedure

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 changed the formula for calculating how much financial aid a student can retain when withdrawing from all classes. Title IV Funds include Federal Pell Grants and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG).

If a student withdraws from all classes prior to completing 60 percent of the semester, they will have their eligibility for financial aid recalculated using the percentage of the semester you completed. 


 A student withdraws from all classes after completing only 30 percent of the semester.

The student is considered to have "earned" only 30 percent of the Title IV funds awarded.

The remaining 70 percent of funds awarded must be returned by the school and/or the student.

 The Withdrawal Process

It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from course(s) if they cannot meet the requirements of the course.  Students who stop attending class without officially withdrawing will be withdrawn at the end of the semester.(unoffiicial withdrawal)

To officially begin the withdrawal process, the student should notify the Enrollment Management Office of his/her intent.  The student should complete the online Withdrawal Request Form . The Financial Aid Office will use the date that you submitted the withdrawal request as the official withdrawal date. Withdrawal dates may also be established when an instructor reports a student as withdrawn. In this case, the date the instructor reports the withdrawal will be used to determine the percent earned.

The Financial Aid Office must determine if you were a recipient of Title IV funds who withdrew prior to the 60 percent point and perform the Return of Title IV Funds calculation. Return to Title IV Calculations are based on the date that request was submitted to HCC student services. R2T4 calculations for an unofficial withdraw (one where no form was completed by the student or faculty) are based on  the 50% point of the semester.  . If it is determined that you received an overpayment, the Financial Aid Office is required to send written notification to you with the amount owed and the Title IV program to repay. This notification will be sent to you no later than 30 calendar days after the Financial Aid Office is notified of your withdrawal. Students will not be allowed to register or receive an official transcript until his/her account is cleared.


Please contact the FAO prior to withdrawing from classes- this may save you money and future eligibility for financial aid funds.

Please contact the Office of Enrollment Management for information on how to properly withdraw from your courses.