Veterans and their dependents are admitted to the College under the same admission requirements as other students. Veteran students are expected to attend classes regularly. Students must pursue the curriculum as listed and approved in the College Catalog and maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 Cumulative GPA), attendance, and conduct to maintain eligibility for payments.

‘‘GI Bill​ is a registered​ trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"

VA educational benefits are not paid for any grades other than A, B, C, D, or F. Payments for educational benefits are based on a student’s classification according to his/her credit hours per semester. Veterans are expected to notify the Veterans Certifying Official at HCC regarding any changes in their enrollment status. Students applying for Veteran’s benefits must submit transcripts from all higher education institutions attended to the HCC Enrollment Management Office.

How the Process Works

  • Generally, students need to be prepared to pay education expenses up front, unless they are participating in certain programs that cover tuition, fees and books directly, such as VA Voc Rehab, Post 9/11 GI Bill (100% Eligible) or Tuition Assistance. Veterans are also encouraged to apply for federal financial aid.
  • Before students receiving veteran’s benefits can be certified for payment, they must be fully accepted by the HCC Enrollment Management Office, submit a copy of their student schedule to the VA Certifying Official and all prior college transcripts must be received by the college and evaluated for transfer credit.
  • After the student is certified, it can still take 4-6 weeks before he/she receives the first payment. Students are encouraged to request direct deposit to his/her bank account to save some time in receiving funds.

How to Request Veterans Education Benefits

Step 1
Students who have never used their benefits, file an initial application (22-1990) or form 22-1995 if you are changing schools with the VA at
Step 2
In 4-6 weeks the VA will mail the veteran a Certificate of Eligibility. Once this is received, please contact the VA Certifying Official to schedule an appointment at  828-627-4506.
Step 3
Provide a copy of your student class schedule to the VA Certifying Office prior to each semester for certification to the VA. Also contact the VA Certifying Official if the number of credit hours decreases as a result of dropping, withdrawing from, or no longer attending any of the registered classes.

Other Important Information

  • Students can only be certified for classes that are required for his/her program.
  • In order to receive full time pay, students must enroll and remain in 12 credit hours during the Fall and Spring semesters. Requirements for Summer term vary.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 in order to avoid being placed on probationary status for VA benefits.
  • Students must comply with HCC and VA attendance verification procedures. See or call (877) 823-2378 for VA verification information.
  • Please note that VA Education Benefits only pay for the In State Tuition rate and HCC currently does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Withdraw Information

  • Students are required to contact the certifying official if they must drop or withdraw from a class(es).
  • Students who withdraw from class may be required to repay any benefits from the beginning of the term for those hours.

Links for Resources and Information

Contact Information

    Wendy Patton

Financial Aid Specialist/VA Certifying Official
(828) 627-4506

Tracy Rapp

Student Enrollment/Financial Aid Director

(828) 627-4509