State Authorization and non-NC residents

Amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) include new requirements regarding individual state authorization affecting colleges with online and distance learning offerings. In order to comply with HEOA 600.9 (c), Haywood Commuity College will only accept students from states for which the College meets that state’s requirements. Those requirements vary from state to state and program to program. 

Please contact Student Services at (828) 627-4500 to determine enrollment eligibility.

§600.9c states:
If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering postsecondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary [of Education] the State’s approval upon request.” (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1001 and 1002)

Complaint Process for Online Students (HEOA Consumer Information)

Haywood Community  College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. All HCC students, whether in-state or out-of-state, who desire to resolve a grievance should follow the College's Student Grievance Procedure.  If an issue cannot be resolved internally, a complaint can be filed with the Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office through a Post-Secondary Education Complaints process. This is the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. Haywood Community College is accredited by the Commision on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).